Thursday, January 24, 2008

Tandoori at LuLu's

Obviously, my culinary company on this evening was top notch, but this place was just cool. I respect anywhere that can make an open kitchen look industrial, efficient, and appetizing at the same time. While I dont think I would love the open booths in the main room, I enjoyed being tucked around the corner with a big group in an intimate setting.

I have yet to go to a top notch Indian restaurant in Richmond. A good substitute is the Tandoori chicken from LuLu's. It was moist, tender, and amazingly flavorful - no easy feat for a difficult dish that is typically dry and easily overcooked. Literally some of the best I've ever had. I can see why one of the servers eats this every night.

3 comments:

Johnny G said...

...and don't forget the delish lobster and crab fritter apps! (WHY DO WE NOT WEIGH 300 POUNDS?)

MarguerEats said...

As with any new haunt in Richmond, reservations are required if you want to actually eat at Lulu's. My friend and I met for a "quick bite" after work last Friday.

A bottle and a half later of a crispy Willamette white, you'd think our taste buds would have weakened. They were shocked awake by the shrimp & grits appetizer that was marinating in a thick roux, reminiscent of gravy. It was the perfect throwback to classic Southern cuisine, but with an edge.

I can't say that the other dishes have been so consistent. (And I've tested them! This is my 3rd visit in three weeks.) The Thai Salmon broth was inventive at first tasting, but the second round was lackluster.

I think I'm mostly drawn by the open air seating that evokes a cocktail party setting with all its bustling energy. And the booths trimming the wall offer the perfect vantage for people watching.

I'll be back for round four.

Anonymous said...

I have been to L2 for many fine lunches since it opened. (Hint: arrive before the crowd!) Both the burgers and sammies (hate that Rachel Ray)were great. Nice fries.
Had brunch on Sunday - try the grilled corned beef with poached eggs - a truly new way to have eggs benedict and corned beef hash together. Beef was perfectly cooked with lots of smoky grill flavor. Yummo.

Grace