Thursday, January 24, 2008

SI! Amigos

A most unlikely yet fabulous spot to enjoy a bit of The New Yorker. A late, rainy Wednesday night. The couch, upstairs, at Si. I needed something to accompany my glass of Spanish red, and vacillated between dates wrapped in bacon and the cheese fondue. Something about the description of Serrano and Fontina cheeses baked in a bechamel sauce with a center of homemade apricot preserves convinced me to try this little $8 gem. I lathered the warm, creamy, sharply sweet mixture onto slices of Billy Bread. An apricot half slid back into the ceramic bowl. I put down my magazine and exhaled, sinking back into the sofa, to fully appreciate this moment of perfection.

2 comments:

Lizzy said...

"Lathered" is such the perfect word for that. YUM. You know I'm a bacon girl, but it is hard to turn down two cheeses bathed in cream sauce. I don't think there was a bad choice in there.

Johnny G said...

I just love this place. Phil's post on Bin 22 (where I haven't been), made me think of Si. The atmosphere is perfect - hip, earthy decor and small, cozy nooks. The menu is right up my alley - beautiful plates of perfectly prepared tastes. The squab was unique, the spanish meat and cheese plate top notch, the lamb perfectly cooked, and I couldnt agree with catherine more about the fondue. Going with a group and having each person choose 2 or 3 plates is a great way to spend an evening. I vote we all go here soon.