Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, BACON!!

I'm obsessed. In the last 10 days, I've consumed bacon, bacon salt, bacon chocolate, I've even read about bacon vodka. But the one that really made my heart skip a beat (okay, it might have actually seized up a bit) was the lamb bacon at Six Burner. Yes, friends: LAMB BACON. Same part of the belly where pig bacon comes from, but on a LAMB. Not crispy like you'd expect - I'd liken it to the fatty parts of a steak that you push aside when other people are watching, but that you secretly savor when you're eating alone. There was a whole slab of it, served atop a bed of local grits and doused in a strange but wonderful coffee/balsamic sauce. I shared with 3 other people, which is likely the only reason I'm still alive to talk about it.

The waiter said it best when we asked what the deal was with this "lamb bacon" on the app menu: "It's amazing; but you wouldn't want to eat it every day". "Why?", we asked. "BECAUSE YOU WOULD DIE".

3 comments:

manc said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lizzy said...

Just so you don't think I deleted a good, juicy comment, I just moved Phil's first post from the comments to its own entry...

Johnny G said...

My first Blog entry! Wheeee! Lizzy B, yes the lamb bacon was divine, but dont forget the rest of this amazing meal. Highlights: Grilled pear with gorgonzola and arugala. Roasted red pepper stuffed with goat cheese, braised pork loin, fist sized scallops with a vanilla citrus sauce, and the coup de gras - filet mignon with salt and vinegar mashed potatoes. And 2 bottles of fabulous chateau neuf de pape. Cant recommend this joint enough.