Thursday, January 24, 2008

Phil You're Crazy

I'm glad you like Bin 22, and I do too....
Just don't expect that you can go there some warm afternoon say around 4pm to enjoy some wine on the porch.... because they'll be closed for the entire beautiful afternoon. How French indeed. They close every afternoon so they can clean up from lunch... and I guess, get a free medical checkup, have a pack of cigarettes and lament over lost love. Quelle dommage!!! I love the place, but when you have outdoor seating, at the very least, give us balmy Saturdays. Maybe they didn't get the memo about the popularity of leisure activities on Saturdays. Maybe they're too existential to care.

One Saturday morning during their brunch, I got Toast there, and it took forever. I don't know the brunch etiquette. Is it table service, or do I get in line at the counter? Okay, I'll get in line, and now I'm watching the guy wait over the toaster, drift off a little, then get startled when the Kenmore Twin Toastamatic pops. An hour later, he's jellying the toast like a sleepy person in his pajamas. He's making swirls in it and staring at it like, "coooool." (At this point there is a line going out the door, and they're rocking two toast slices at a time.) Man this is awkward. Why am I still standing here? You know what, Albert Camus junior? Due to a sudden rush of ennui, I don't care about toast anymore. In fact, everything is absurd. I'm going to the beach to stare at the sun and question all of life. Wait! You were there yesterday! Weren't you the guy burning ants with a magnifying glass and flying a kite in zero wind? I remember now. Yes, exactly! It was around 4pm and I was craving a glass of wine. Well, at least you have all that money from this morning's toast rush. Carry on. I'm not gonna tell you how to run a business.

3 comments:

Catherine said...

What in God's name are you doing in Dentistry? Join the comics my friend.

Johnny G said...

Genius, my pony-handed friend. Pure genius.

manc said...

Scott- I had a similar smoke-induced service situation last Sunday morning at the new Crossroads coffee shop in the fan: I ask the server (named Phil) what the ingredients were in a non-descriptively named omelette and his response in a totally stoner deadpan was "you know, all kinds of good stuff, get that, you'll like". It ended up that he was right but I would've like knowing ahead of time what it was that I was ordering.