Monday, February 4, 2008

"Pittsburg Blue"

I know this has nothing to do with Richmond, but I thought it was interesting and decided to pass it on. I was in Pittsburg last week and went out for a steak and some drinks on the company dime. I like 'em rare - as in, wipe it's ass, knock the horns off, and stick it on a plate, rare. Though I do like a nice char on the outside. Now, I had heard of a 'Chicago blue' steak, which is charred on the outside and rare on the inside, but apparently, that's a misnomer. My waiter informed me that this steak preparation originated in Pittsburg, not Chicago, and should thus be ordered as 'Pittsburg Blue.' He went on to tell me that the steel workers there only got 10 minutes for lunch years ago. So they would bring their steaks in and toss them in the steel blast furnace at amazingly high temps for just a couple of minutes. I ordered it, and while it wasnt cooked in a blast furnace, it was charry and bloody and raw and delicious.

1 comment:

Lizzy said...

That might be a sentence never before written in history, but it's deliciously descriptive! I like mine at least heated through, but I do LOVE charred things. Stupid cancer-causing char.