Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Gute Lives On!

After reading in the Sunday paper that Cafe Gutenburg was going to stick it out (due to some eleventh-hour investors), Phil and I met for brunch. Service was traditionally absent-minded, but charming. Coffee delivery was prompt, but it took three requests to get water. Alas, the meal was memorable! And the BOWLS of coffee were laughable.

Honestly, this airy cafe, with its eclectic book selection, groovy poetry readings, and bustling international set, could thrive with a mediocre menu. But they excel in this area too. My shrimp nicoise was perfection.

I know--salad. Surprise! But the shrimp was marinated and grilled, or perhaps charbroiled, with little flecks of crusty yum all over them. Only hearts of palm and romaine lettuce rounded out this salad, but it needed nothing else. Oh wait, except for the insanely delicious dressing-creamy anchovy, caper, lemony, vinaigrette (sp?!) that I can still taste if I close my eyes. Oh my god, I'm going back right now...

1 comment:

Lizzy said...

Despite working basically next door for almost a year, I never ate there. The coffee bar people were always so rude that I didn't have much interest in sticking around for the duration of an entire meal. It was known around the office as the Snootenburg. But I've heard nothing but great things about the food, so maybe should get over it and give it a whirl...